Dr. Sarita Rani Jaiswal
BSc, MBBS, MD,Fellowship in BMT (Italy),
Visiting Physician (FHCRC,Seattle, USA)
PROGRAM DIRECTOR, BMT
CONSULTANT, DEPARTMENT OF BMT & HEMATOLOGY
- Dr Sarita Jaiswal is the lead consultant for the Haploidentical BMT at Dharamshila Narayana Superspeciality Hospital. Dr Sarita trained in Internal Medicine, Critical Care Medicine and Pathology before initiating her career in Hemato-Oncology and BMT. Dr. Sarita did her fellowships in BMT Italy at the University of Parma under Prof Franco Aversa and San Martino Hospital at Genova under Prof Andrea Bacigalupo. Dr Sarita also received a fellowship as a Visiting Physician at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre, Seattle, USA in 2013. Dr. Sarita Jaiswal has also trained exclusively in TCRalfabeta depleted Haploidentical BMT under Prof Aversa, who is a pioneer in this field. Dr. Sarita has been awarded the ESH-EBMT scholarship for her work in Haploidentical BMT. Since her return from USA, she has been instrumental in setting up a comprehensive haploidentical BMT program at Dharamshila Narayana Superspeciality Hospital. The program is one of its kind in India with a dedicated patient-care wing as well as basic research facilities.
- Dr Sarita and the team has carried out over 60 haploidentical BMT in the last two and half years with an impressive outcome in most difficult cases of refractory leukaemia, lymphoma and severe aplastic anaemia with a disease-free-survival of over 70% in malignant diseases and over 80% in non-malignant diseases. The clinical and basic research carried out by Dr Jaiswal and her team has won accolades internationally. Dr Sarita has been invited for oral presentation of her work at the BMT Tandem Meetings in the USA for 3 consecutive years from 2015 onwards.
- Her major area of research is on post-transplant immunotherapy and prevention of GVHD following haploidentical BMT. This has led to some novel developments in this field. Dr Sarita has had over 50 international publications and presentations in the last 3 years. The group has recently started a clinical trial on haploidentical BMT in thalassemia and sickle cell anaemia.
- In addition, Dr Sarita has major interest in the management of acute leukaemia in children and myeloproliferative disorders.
A UNIQUE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT BY DR SARITA JAISWAL
It is indeed a great feat for an Indian doctor to get their work recognized as an Oral Presentation at International Conferences, but it is unique to do it 5 times in a row. Dr Sarita Jaiswal from DNSH, New Delhi presented their research on Haploidentical BMT for the fifth consecutive time at Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (TCT) Meeting 2019 (previously called BMT Tandem Meeting) jointly hosted by CIBMTR and ASBMT at Houston, USA. This was on a novel approach of preemptive granulocyte infusions to reduce mortality in patients carrying antibiotic resistant bacteria and undergoing a haploidentical transplantation.
- 2015- San Diego, CA
- 2016- Honolulu, Hawai
- 2017- Orlando, Florida
- 2018- Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2019- Houston, Texas
In addition to oral presentation at EBMT Meeting at Lisbon, Portugal, 2018.
Affiliations (Professional Memberships) & Certifications
- American Society Of Blood And Marrow Transplantation (ASBMT)
- American Society Of Hematology
- European Hematology Association (EHA)
- Asia Pacific Hematology Consortium (APHCON)
Guest Editor for special issue on Haploidentical Transplantation-Advances in Hematology. Peer Reviewer for BMT journal, BBMT etc
- Jaiswal S et al. Contrasting Patterns of Alloreactivity Amongst Malignant and Nonmalignant Diseases Receiving Haploidentical PBSC GRAFT and Post-Transplant Cyclophosphamide. (Poster no 473). 2013 BMT tandem meeting.
- Jaiswal S et al. Persistently High GAM Levels Are Associated with Nonrelapse Mortality in HCT Recipients Irrespective of Invasive Aspergillosis: A Prospective Cohort Study. (Poster no 305). 2013 BMT tandem meeting.
- Jaiswal S et al. Second Haploidentical PBSC Transplantation From the Same Donor After Early Relapse without Gvhd in Patients with Acute Leukemia. (Poster no 474). 2013 BMT tandem meeting.
- Jaiswal S et al. Is Haploidentical Family Donor Transplantation The Best Form Of Alternative Donor HCT In Developing Countries? BTG 2013, Hongkong.
- Jaiswal S. Is Haploidentical Family Donor Transplantation The Best Form Of Alternative Donor HCT In Developing Countries? (ORAL PRESENTATION) ESH EBMT TRAINING COURSE ON HCT, ITALY, APRIL 2013.
- Jaiswal S. NK Alloreactive Donor Is Associated With Reduced Relapse In Refractory AML But High Non-relapse Mortality In Patients With Aplastic Anaemia Following T-Replete Haploidentical PBSCT With Post Transplant. 18th Congress of EHA, 2013.
- Jaiswal S et al. Comparable Outcome Of Haploidentical And Matched Sibling Donor Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation For High Risk Aplastic Anaemia. 1st International Workup on Haploidentical Transplantation, 2013.
- Jaiswal S et al. Comparable Outcome Of Haploidentical And Matched Sibling Donor Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation Following Myeloablative Conditioning For Poor Risk Acute Myeloid Leukemia. 1st International Workup on Haploidentical Transplantation, 2013.
- Jaiswal S. Natural Killer Cells: A New Weapon in The Armamentarium. National Cancer Congress, 2014, DHRC, Delhi, 2014.
- Jaiswal S et al. Outcome Of Haploidentical PBSC Transplantation For High Risk Aplastic Anaemia With Post-Transplant Cyclophosphamide Is Similar To Matched Sibling PBSCT And Depends On Choice Of Donors: Adverse Effect Of Natural Killer Cell Alloreactivity. 40th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation: April 2014. Milan, Italy.
- Jaiswal S et al. Comparable Outcome Of Haploidentical And Matched Sibling Donor Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation Following Myeloablative Conditioning For Poor Risk Acute Myeloid Leukemia.40th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation: April 2014. Milan, Italy
- Jaiswal S et al. Impact Of Natural Killer (Nk) Cell Kir Ligand Mismatch And B Score On The Outcome Of Haploidentical Transplantation With Posttransplantation Cyclophosphamide (Ptcy) In Aplastic Anaemia. 19th Congress of the European Hematology Association. April 2014. Milan, Italy.
- Jaiswal S et al. Impact of natural killer (NK) cell KIR ligand mismatch and B score on the outcome of haploidentical transplantation with post-transplantation cyclophosphamide (PTCY) in aplastic anaemia. 2nd Hematology Conference on Hematology & Blood Disorders, Baltimore, 2014.
- Jaiswal SR, Sharma K, Chakrabarti S. Developing a Haploidentical Transplant Program: An Indian Experience. Oral Presentation at BMT Tandem Meeting, San Diego, 2015
- Jaiswal S et al. Pretransplant Sirolimus Might Improve The Outcome of Haploidentical Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation with Post-Transplant Cyclophosphamide for Patients with Severe Aplastic Anaemia. BMT Tandem Meeting, San Diego, 2015
- Jaiswal S et al. Natural Killer (NK) Cell And Natural Killer-T (NKT) Cell Infusion Immediately Following Posttransplant Cyclophosphamide (PTCY) To Improve The Outcome Of Haploidentical HSCT Following Nonmyeloablative Conditioning. 41st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation: March 2015
- Jaiswal S et al. Haploidentical Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation with Post-Transplantation Cyclophosphamide in Primary Refractory Acute Myeloid Leukemia. 57th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition (December, 2015) in Orlando, FL
- Jaiswal S et al.Early Donor Lymphocyte Infusion and NK Ligand Mismatched Donor Might Improve the Outcome of Relapsed/Refractory Acute Myeloid Leukemia Following PTCY-Based Haploidentical PBSC Transplantation with Myeloablative Conditioning. Oral Presentation at BMT Tandem Meeting, Hawaii, 2016.
- Jaiswal S et al. Haploidentical Transplantation with PBSC Graft in Children: The Need to Look Beyond Post-Transplantation Cyclophosphamide In Younger Children.BMT Tandem Meeting, Hawaii, 2016.
- Jaiswal S et al. Gut Colonization with Carbapenem Resistant Enterobactriaceae(CRE) Adversely Impacts The Outcome InPatients With Hematological Malignancies: Results Of A Prospective Surveillance Study. 57th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition (December, 2016), San Diago, USA.
- Jaiswal S et al. CD56 Enriched Donor Cell Infusion Following Post-Transplantation Cyclophosphamide and Cyclosporine Alone for Haploidentical PBSCT in Myeloid Malignancies Is Associated with Prompt Reconstitution of Mature NK Cells and Tregs with Reduced Incidence of aGVHD. Oral Presentation at BMT Tandem Meeting, Orlando,2017
- Jaiswal S et al. T Cell Costimulation Blockade with Abatacept Along with Pre-Transplantation Sirolimus and Post-Transplantation Cyclophosphamide (PTCy) Promotes Early Recovery of Tregs and Reduces Early Alloreactivity after Haploidentical PBSCT for Severe Aplastic Anaemia. Oral Presentation at BMT Tandem Meeting, Orlando,2017
- Jaiswal SR, Bhakuni P, Bhagwati G et al. Impact of Preemptive Granulocyte Infusions During Febrile Neutropenia in Patients Colonized with Carbapenem-Resistant Gram-Negative Bacteria Undergoing Haploidentical Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2019.
- Jaiswal SR, Bhakuni P, Bansal S et al. Targeting CD28-CD86 Pathway for Refractory Myeloma Through CTLA4Ig-Based Reduced-Intensity Conditioning and Donor Lymphocyte Infusions After Haploidentical Transplantation. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2019.
- Jaiswal SR, Bhakuni P, Bhagawati G et al. CTLA4Ig-based T-cell costimulation blockade is associated with reduction of adenovirus viremia following post-transplantation cyclophosphamide-based haploidentical transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant 2019.
- Jaiswal SR, Bhakuni P, Chakrabarti A, Chakrabarti S. Rotavirus infection following post-transplantation cyclophosphamide based haploidentical hematopoietic cell transplantation in children is associated with hemophagocytic syndrome and high mortality. Transpl Infect Dis 2019; e13136.
- Jaiswal SR, Bhakuni P, Joy A et al. CTLA4Ig Primed Donor Lymphocyte Infusion: A Novel Approach to Immunotherapy after Haploidentical Transplantation for Advanced Leukemia. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2019; 25: 673-682.
- Jaiswal SR, Bhakuni P, Joy A et al. Impact of Single-Dose Plerixafor as an Adjunct to Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor-Based Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Mobilization on the Graft Composition and Outcome for T Cell-Replete Haploidentical Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation with Post-Transplantation Cyclophosphamide: A Comparative Study. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2018; 24: 542-548.
- Jaiswal SR, Bhakuni P, Joy A et al. Higher CD45RA(+) Regulatory T Cells in the Graft Improves Outcome in Younger Patients Undergoing T Cell-Replete Haploidentical Transplantation: Where Donor Age Matters. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2018; 24: 2025-2033.
- Jaiswal SR, Bhakuni P, Zaman S et al. T cell costimulation blockade promotes transplantation tolerance in combination with sirolimus and post-transplantation cyclophosphamide for haploidentical transplantation in children with severe aplastic anemia. Transpl Immunol 2017; 43-44: 54-59.
- Jaiswal SR, Chakrabarti A, Chatterjee S et al. Hemophagocytic syndrome following haploidentical peripheral blood stem cell transplantation with post-transplant cyclophosphamide. Int J Hematol 2016; 103: 234-242.
- Jaiswal SR, Chakrabarti A, Chatterjee S et al. Haploidentical Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation with Post-Transplantation Cyclophosphamide in Children with Advanced Acute Leukemia with Fludarabine-, Busulfan-, and Melphalan-Based Conditioning. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2016; 22: 499-504.
- Jaiswal SR, Chakrabarti A, Chatterjee S et al. Haploidentical transplantation in children with unmanipulated peripheral blood stem cell graft: The need to look beyond post-transplantation cyclophosphamide in younger children. Pediatr Transplant 2016; 20: 675-682.
- Jaiswal SR, Chakrabarti S. Haploidentical Transplantation in Children with Acute Leukemia: The Unresolved Issues. Adv Hematol 2016; 2016: 3467672.
- Jaiswal SR, Chakrabarti S. Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Myeloma: Time for an Obituary or Not Just Yet! Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion 2019.
- Jaiswal SR, Chatterjee S, Chakrabarti S. Paternal bone marrow infusion as salvage therapy for severe GVHD following maternal haploidentical transplantation resulting in biparental chimerism. Int. J. Hematol 2013; 98: 504-508.
- Jaiswal SR, Chatterjee S, Mukherjee S et al. Pre-transplant sirolimus might improve the outcome of haploidentical peripheral blood stem cell transplantation with post-transplant cyclophosphamide for patients with severe aplastic anemia. Bone Marrow Transplant 2015; 50: 873-875.
- Jaiswal SR, Gupta S, Kumar RS et al. Gut Colonization with Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae Adversely Impacts the Outcome in Patients with Hematological Malignancies: Results of A Prospective Surveillance Study. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis 2018; 10: e2018025.
- Jaiswal SR, Zaman S, Chakrabarti A et al. T cell costimulation blockade for hyperacute steroid refractory graft versus-host disease in children undergoing haploidentical transplantation. Transpl Immunol 2016; 39: 46-51.
- Jaiswal SR, Zaman S, Chakrabarti A et al. Improved Outcome of Refractory/Relapsed Acute Myeloid Leukemia after Post-Transplantation Cyclophosphamide-Based Haploidentical Transplantation with Myeloablative Conditioning and Early Prophylactic Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor-Mobilized Donor Lymphocyte Infusions. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2016; 22: 1867-1873.
- Jaiswal SR, Zaman S, Nedunchezhian M et al. CD56-enriched donor cell infusion after post-transplantation cyclophosphamide for haploidentical transplantation of advanced myeloid malignancies is associated with prompt reconstitution of mature natural killer cells and regulatory T cells with reduced incidence of acute graft versus host disease: A pilot study. Cytotherapy 2017; 19: 531-542.
- Chakrbarti A, Jaiswal SR, Chakrabarti S. Sirolimus as Long-term Graft-versus-host-disease Prophylaxis in Haploidentical Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Recipients for Non-malignant Disorders is Associated with High Incidence of Acneiform Lesions. Indian J Dermatol 2015; 60: 588-591.